Macklemore

Friday, February 13, 2015

It's hard not to take notice of chart-topping rapper Macklemore, both for his success as an independent artist and his unusual fashion sense. As his most popular single suggests, Macklemore does indeed have a love for great thrift shop finds and one-of-a-kind items, which tends to make him stand out even more in the hip-hop community.

He also brings to his music insightful lyrics, including songs about homophobia, mocking brand names, white privilege and staying independent, a direct contrast to typical rap songs about fame, money and material possessions.

One of my favourite lyrics about dedication to your craft:
 "See, I observed Escher
I love Basquiat
I watched Keith Haring
You see I study art
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint
The greats were great cause they paint a lot"

In this illustration I envisioned his famous thrift shop coat as a dreamcoat for a knowledge-dropping vagabond. Done in ink with digital colours.


You Might Also Like

0 comments