From the Top

Tuesday, September 20, 2016



More and more I find myself enjoying painting just as a process and less for the end result...studies rather than completely finished details I don't have the patience for. No sense in spending time on something you aren't going to be into in the end anyway. An interesting surface is just the ticket for this type of painting to add an extra unexpected element and help with the rough feel.

This is a quick oil painting of some building tops in Paris, done in a few hours... it would have been cool to do it on location, but then it would seem like work while on vacation! Plus, I'm pretty sure you'd get trampled. I painted on chunk of nice wood I had left over from some cabinet doors and was sure to let the tone show through, to help with the old yellow colour all the buildings are in the city. Though I went with a taller vertical composition, I find it more interesting cropping in, getting rid of a bunch of extra windows.

You Might Also Like

0 comments