New Quick Paintings

Thursday, January 21, 2016

I tend to get bogged down by larger scale creative projects which can end up feeling like a chore by the time they're finished. In order to avoid the boredom and explore new ideas, I like to slide in a quick painting now and then. Just something done in an hour or two, with no expectations of what it will be, or how it needs to end up. Here are a few recent items...

Hustle
I just painted this one up loosely based on a sketch I did. I've missed working in oil. It's my favourite medium and it had been over a year so this one just felt good. I enjoyed wiping my hand around in the paint and blurring out some of the face. I find a lot of my effort goes into loosening up and not caring about details which I know I really don't have the patience for.




Carriage
I also used to do a lot of work on a more collaged surface. I layered a few snippets from my collection onto a canvas and spread out some colour over it as a start. It needed some sort of outline drawing, of something unexpected, which I picked flipping through an encyclopedia. I think this type of old-time carriage even had a special name I learned (but have since unlearned).



You Might Also Like

0 comments